Baby’s feed is a tough task from breastfeeding, to formula milk to semi-solid liquids. In this article, we will discuss how to use, prepare and store formula milk for your little one.
The first thing you will have to nurse your newborn. While breastfeeding is said to the best option for your baby in several cases you have to choose formula feeds also. If you have decided to give your baby a mixed feed (breastfeed and formula), you will have many doubts regarding the new type of milk.
Preparing the formula feed needs to be done with some important methods as this is an external preparation prone to be contaminated while exposed in the air, which can be harmful to your baby.
How To Prepare Formula Milk:
Now comes the main part where you have to prepare the feed for your baby. The pack containing formula powder will have instructions about the quantity to be taken per feed every pack has their own way of instruction ensure you read everything given. You have to follow the same with care.
- Mix the formula powder with water (boiled) as stated on the pack. Make sure that water is not very cool while preparing the feed as it will not mix with the powder proper and make lumps.
- Close the bottle and shake it well enough so that formula mixes properly. Ensure that the formula is prepared with adequate thickness not too watery or thick.
- Check the temperature of the formula milk before feeding your baby. Make sure that the milk is not very hot or very cold both the cases are not ideal. A warm feed is just perfect for your little one.
- Test the heat by pouring a few drops on your back of your hand or elbows.
Tips On How To Store Formula Milk Safely
Below are a few pointers you have to bear in mind while preparing the formula milk:
1. Cleanliness Of Baby Bottles:
- If your baby is constantly on formula feed the bottle hygiene is of crucial importance. Make sure that you sterilize and clean the bottles at least 3-4 times a day. It is extremely simple you just need to put warm water or boil the bottle slightly so that it can sterilize.
- Washing the bottles thoroughly after every feed is very important.
- Throw away any old bottles that have been well used up. Replace them with new ones in every 2-3 months if you are using them frequently. You can always use at least two bottles at a time.
2. Right kind of bottle:
- While shopping for the baby bottles and storing equipment like vessels, ensure you choose the brands in the market which has:
- The bottles should be in good condition. Look for any external damage or tampering before buying them.
- The vessels and containers should be reliable. Pick the ones that come with lids so that you can keep the lid handy in cases of storage, it will also help you to cover the formula so that nothing can fall in it.
- The bottles and the containers have to be washed and cleaned every time they are used.
Tips On Storing Formula Milk In Refrigerator:
It is adviced that you should not store the formula feed for more than 15-20 minutes during normal conditions.
In cases where it becomes mandatory to store the formula feed like traveling or work then:
- The formula feed prepared should be stored in the refrigerator Make sure that you check the formula before feeding your baby within the 24 hours span for any bacterial build up.
- An ideally refrigerated feed should be safe enough within one hour.
- Throw away the formula milk left by your baby in the bottle.
- Throw away any formula milk that has been kept under the room temperature for an hour or so.
- Formula feed can be prepared well in advance and stored in the refrigerator for about 24 hours.
- Throw away any formula feed that crosses 24 hours timeline even in the fridge.
- Being observant about the formula feed is important if you have started with formula feed your baby to them. It’s always good if you seek some medical advice from your doctor regarding a dependable brand and everything which will help you to understand your babies feed amount and its side effects.
- There may be chances that formula feed does not suit your baby in those cases observe the signs like whether your baby is vomiting instantly after a feed or have diarrhea, in cases like that immediately see medical attention.
- Formula feed is a completely safe and good way to feed your baby keeping precautions in mind you can start it soon.
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings