Mother-to-be is extra careful about their and their child’s health. They get suggestions from all over, from elders, from relatives, from the internet, etc, as to how they should take care of themselves to ensure that it doesn’t harm them or their child. Often So many suggestions confuse them. One of those advice includes is warm water during pregnancy good?
To help you get straight through this particular question, here we have provided the complete details about is warm water during pregnancy is recommended. This article includes the requirements of pregnant women, the benefits that warm water during pregnancy provides, and the caution that one must take while drinking warm water.
Water intake becomes very important especially during pregnancy. Drinking the right amount of water every day is considered to be one of the perfect mantras to stay healthy. While you are pregnant, consumption of adequate water helps to keep you hydrated, detoxified, and energized it ensures the proper health and growth of your unborn baby. Dehydration can lead to many complications like nausea, dizziness cramps, and edema. So keeping yourself well hydrated, especially during the third trimester is essential. Drinking warm water just further adds to the list of benefits derived from this wonder liquid. Expecting mothers are advised to consume a sufficient amount of warm water.
Importance of Water Intake Requirements During Pregnancy
There are certain guidelines on the intake of water for pregnant ladies. Following these rules will ensure your good health.
- Institute of Medicine recommends to pregnant women drink 8 to 10 glasses of water per day. This will ensure proper hydration and the healthy functioning of your body.
- Your water requirement also increases with the changes in your weight, weather conditions, and daily activities.
- If you are exercising, then after exercising, you must drink extra water to compensate for the body fluid lost during the workout.
- It has been found that during pregnancy, drinking more fluids also helps to reduce water retention in the body.
- While you’re breastfeeding, your daily intake should increase to thirteen glasses per day
Water Intake According To Each Trimester
In the first trimester, the water intake of the mother remains normal. As the baby is too small so your water amount does not actually matter.
The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) recommends that women should increase their calorie intake by an extra 340 calories per day while entering the second trimester. Employing the guideline to add 1–1.5 mL of water for each calorie consume Trusted Source. Therefore you need to add at least another 340 mL of water to your diet as well.
In the third trimester, the calorie intake should increase to 450 calories above the normal daily recommendation, which would require even more water.
Benefits Of Drinking Warm Water During Pregnancy
While drinking warm water has plenty of benefits and helps combat many problems, you should always ensure that the water isn’t scalding hot because it can burn the lining of your mouth, which makes it harmful whether you’re pregnant or not. Drinking tepid or lukewarm water renders many health benefits to both you and your baby. They are:
Helps With Detoxification and Digestion
Drinking warm water helps to detoxify the body. It also aids in digestion by clearing out all the toxins from your body. It cleans out the digestive tract, which will allow your body to absorb nutrients better. These nutrients are then easily passed on to the baby. Warm water also readily dissolves fat and oil droplets.
Reduces Morning Sickness
Most mothers will attest that morning sickness is one of the hardest aspects of being pregnant. Drinking warm water helps to prevent morning sickness, heartburn, etc., and thereby promotes the healthy functioning of your body.
As so many changes occur in your body and in your diet when you are pregnant, you will most likely find yourself battling constipation, which is a common issue during pregnancy. Warm water is known to be a good combatant for constipation and will help you have regular bowel movements.
Maintaining Bronchial Health
During the winter months, pregnant mothers need to be very careful to not catch common illnesses like the flu as it can affect the baby. Warm water also helps to keep cold, cough, and flu at bay and ensures the proper bronchial health of both of you.
Keeps fatigued away
A glass of warm water daily, especially with a small quantity of lemon in it, helps to boost stamina and energy levels in the mothers thereby keep fatigue away.
The Caution Which Must Be Taken
There are certain precautions that you should keep in mind while consuming warm water. Here are some basic things which you should keep in mind:
- Make sure that the water you consume is boiled long enough and all the bacteria and germs are killed off.
- You should drink lukewarm water and not scalding hot water.
- Should avoid drinking water from places you are unsure of. Carry a bottle of water with you from home wherever you go.
- Drink one cup of water for every hour that you are awake.
- You can consult a doctor if you have any confusion or apprehensions related to the consumption of warm water during pregnancy.